What’s the storage way for NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) solvent and how long can it be stock? (Based on customer case analysis)
Follow me on:
As one kind of chemicals, how should we stock NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) solvent ? I believe that only professionals know this. There is no unified statement on how long NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) solvents can be in stock.
Even, we sent samples of NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) solvent to customers, but due to various and unavoidable reasons, the sample was not tested in time;
Sometimes to test the samples, some of the data is not the same as the COA.
Why did it happen? That’s the topic what we’re going to discuss together today.
【What is NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) solvent? 】
NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) is a high-boiling organic compound with the chemical formula C5H9NO. The samples we send to customers (for testing) are relatively high-concentration, 99.9% electronic-grade solvents, colorless and transparent. The color of the liquid will vary depending on the purity.
There is a slight ammonia smell,we normally not open it to smell. Because NMP solvent is highly absorbent, it will absorb moisture in the air; if we go to open the sample, it will affect the purity of the sample.
I think we found the reason. Why was there any data for the NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) sample not the same as COA when it was tested after being placed for four months?
Because of the geographical location, the local temperature and humidity will affect the performance of NMP solvent;
NMP solvent should be stocked in a cool, ventilated warehouse, moisture-proof, and away from fire and heat sources. However, the customer are too busy and ignore it,didn’t put it in the suitable place.
Due to the high temp. & high humidity which will cause the NMP solvent to be damp due to the long-term storage even if it is sealed in the drum.
Although we have indicated on the product label that this product needs moisture-proof, heat-proof and other storage methods, the customer may not noted carefully, and we didn’t know when they will test it and not carefully let the customer know how to stock the product. This case also reminds us, because of the particularity of the product, whether customers are very familiar with this product or not, we should be carefully told them the relevant storage methods.
【Storage method of NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) solvent】
1. Stock in a cool, dark, well-ventilated warehouse, away from fire sources.
2. Keep away from heat source steam pipes or places under direct sunlight.
3. When handling, lightly load and unload, keep the package intact and prevent leakage.
4. Under the specified storage conditions, the shelf life of the product is 1 year.
5. This product is chemically inactive and non-corrosive to other metals such as carbon steel and aluminum except for copper.
6. Stock in airtight drum. Packed in galvanized iron drums, stocked and transported in accordance with general chemical regulations.
7. Avoid place with oxidizing materials, organic peroxides or flammable materials.
[Notes on the handling of NMP (N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone) solvent]
1) Only use it in a well-ventilated place or in the open air, do not inhale steam, and try to operate in a downwind place.
2) Avoid contact with the product by eyes, skin or clothes, and wear appropriate protective equipment.
3) Avoid leakage, overflow or spillage.
4) Avoid careless operation or dripping and prevent physical damage.
For more information about NMP solvent and lithium battery preparation, please continue to pay attention to ZESHENG~
More articles to read: